Author: Adisha
•Sunday, June 28, 2009


I love Amusement parks. The melee, the sounds, the cotton candy, the long lines, the colorful rides with the equally colorful people, the soft toys, the stalls, the silly games, the smells, the speed of the rides, looking at the reactions of the others as they go on, go through and come out of each ride, imagining how each ride must actually feel.

I can sense you wondering. The thing is, I don't do roller coasters, I don't do rides.
No Sirree !!! I know my limits and stay on the ground. Basically I'm the theme park goer that people look at wonder why I bother to come. Rideholics !!!! Don't bother denying it !!!! :p

"Cmon !!! Try it once " , you say?

"It's fun after the first time. " you say?

" Fraidy Cat !!! ", you say ?

" The feeling is awesome. Just let go and put your hands in the air and it'll be wonderful here on. ", you say?

" You don't know what you're missing ... ", you say.

" You get scared and scream ?! That's ok. Everyone does. That's the fun part. ", you say. Not like me, they don't. My screams are more like the guy from Scream or Jason is running after me :D

I've heard it all before, from friends, colleges, family.
I've even had perfect strangers come up to me and say, " Parks are Not for reading. Go on a ride ! It's fun. " Stubbornly, I stick to my guns. I wait patiently for those who choose to go on the rides, sometimes alone even, click pictures and enjoy the wondrous feeling second hand, living life vicariously through ... well, these days my hubby. Thankfully he gives detailed descriptions after each one.

Hey !! I Have tried it you know ?? And well ... read on ...

My two WILD experiences of rides include one on the banana boat thingi. We had gone Early in the morning to avoid the queues. I must have been in the 8th and my bro was 5 or 6. We were the only ones on the ride, besides another kid. We went up slowly and as we were upside down, I started screaming, which led to my bro flexing his lungs as well, and our chorus was diligently followed by our unknown companion. The ride was hastily stopped and we were shoved off to the easier rides like bumping cars, and water log rides, to which I have remained loyal, to this day.



The other memory is of my naive brother coaxing me into going with him on the medium thrill roller coaster. I've just started working and he's in his teens, all set to take on Any ride ever created. I hesitated but not wanting to say No to one of the few things he's asked of me, I went along. How bad could it be ?! Right ? Wrong !!

As we clunked along, up to the highest point, my breathe catches and I wonder what the hell I'm doing ?! We reach the top and the ground is too far away for my liking. My tummy does somersaults and I ask my brother if they'll let us get off if I scream loud enough ? He in turn, slightly embarrassed by his older sister, kindly tries to convince me to relax, and how I can probably see my best friend's house from where we are sitting. I knew it was a ploy to distract me, and as much as I appreciate his attempts even today, my heart that time wouldn't quit trying to jump out of my chest. Bravely, I decided to get through the next few seconds bracing myself, closing my eyes, holding the railing tight and wishing for the ride to go faster just so that it'd get over. As we come to the end, I swear to myself, and by all the Gods that I shall never go on another high speed, high positioned, blood gushing ride again.



By now all you thrill seekers are surely smiling and those not so subtle might to laughing out loud. But for me it's just sad! Till recently, I thought it was just me being
Alto phobic. But now I figure that can't be. I don't mind terraces, beautiful vistas from much above sea level, mountain tops, speed boats, fast cars, bikes etc but the mere thought of a glass elevators, those spaced out stairs through which you can see, roller coasters etc have me jumpy. Recently, during a discussion, I realized that it's more of an issue of trust and control for me.I don't trust the people who've created the ride. The height, the speed, the construction,the potential of me being the last straw on the poor ride's back, the enormous possibilities for things to go wrong. It rings within me the fear of my life ending sooner than later, more probably due to a heart attack than any actual falling ...

And no ! Figuring out my problem hasn't helped me One bit. Now water rides. That's more my thing. I'm confident, since I can swim for my life should anything go wrong. :) Well, most of them any way. I howl, even on the water log rides, which much to my chagrin, my husband points out each time is just too loud considering it's not that high or for that matter, scary !!!

All said and done, I still enjoy every moment when we go. The metaphorical highs and lows anyway. As for roller coasters. Life's been giving me a pretty good ride so far. :D

So, what do You love about Theme parks ? I presume you Have gone to one in your life time and have your favorites and freak outs. So spill !!!
|
This entry was posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

27 Spin Offs:

On June 28, 2009 at 9:01 PM , Kokonad said...

Heh heh, nice post! I love amusement parks because I that look from the top to see what's coming (e.g. the third photo) is phenomenal :D
By the way, I know one solution to overcome your fear for rides. Go skydiving. It's a beautiful and mesmerizing thing... Worked for me! :D After you jump off a plane at 10000 feet, roller coaster rides are lollypops. :)

 
On June 28, 2009 at 9:25 PM , Archana said...

Hahah, I'm with you on the no roller coaster rule!! Forcing me to go on one, can make my brown skin turn pale, lol. I can't handle the rush - it's too much. I've been bullied onto one psycho roller coaster in Indonesia (by my elder sister), and that experience was enough to turn me off of them for life! Lol, that's right, even when I have kids, they can go with their dad. Or if they're gusty enough, on their own. Not with me though. I'll stand & watch, video tape them, take pictures, etc. :P

I do enjoy the more chill rides though, or the ones with a slight rush. Pretty much like you said, the water log rides, etc. Amusements parks are always a good time, but I'm sure it's 10x more fun for the thrill seekers. I've always liked going in the silly haunted houses, haha.

On a side note though, I do enjoy some other thrills in life like para-sailing & white-water rafting. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I know I can swim & if I wanted to, I could get out of the situation when I want. :P

 
On June 28, 2009 at 9:57 PM , Keshi said...

LOL Adisha r ya that scared of fun rides?

u can call me a Thriller ;-) I'd ride on any speed-demon!! Im a sucker for speed, thrill and adrenaline!

Keshi.

 
On June 29, 2009 at 2:45 AM , Baljinder Singh said...

Banking on some stranger's work is always difficult. But sometimes we just fear for nothing.
If one is not afraid of rides at amusement parks, he will be afraid of some other thing. But I think one should try all things in life.
U tried it...really a gutsy move...:P

 
On June 29, 2009 at 3:50 AM , Tranquility Speaks said...

I have this in common with you. I am not a ride freak either. And I hate that obnoxious feeling in my stomach. Too much to stomach apparently.

If the eyes are closed, and I am not enjoying one bit of being up there, there is no point wasting time there. But will try all some day. Just for the adrenaline rush ;-)

 
On June 29, 2009 at 4:05 AM , dreamy said...

lol i must admit i dont really enjoy the rides either....hell u know i cant even sit on a normal swing..makes me dizzy... :(

 
On June 29, 2009 at 6:59 AM , Thoughts Over Chai said...

hahaha Adisha it was funny.I am not really scared of rides, only time when I dont like few rides are when they make me feel dizzy.Nevertheless, I enjoy when I am in it, however high they go or whatever they make me feel in the stomach.
I like haunted house(s) in theme parks.I don't like them because they make me feel scared but because most of the times they are funny.

"Cmon !!! Try it once " ;)

 
On June 29, 2009 at 10:22 AM , Netika Lumb said...

He..he..
But I just looooove amusement parks.. I don't think I've ever left a ride.. Somehow, the mere thought of leaving a ride unridden makes me feel weird.Though, i can completely understand your fears.

and with great company and safe parks comes great fun too.. try them ;)

 
On June 29, 2009 at 11:01 AM , Unknown said...

Nice post!
I want to go to an amusementt park NOWWWWWW...
Somebody take me...Please? ;)

 
On June 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM , Nevermind said...

Hey...grt post..I love amusement parks..bt i would rather like 2 c others screamin dan doin it myself..
...n hav got a wonderful experience..u knw a thng calld Giant-Wheel na..dat stupid thng stopped(Dey call it a power failure..) wen v wer at da top.. so stayd ther 4 atleast 1/2 n hour..:)

Somebody rightly said..Life's not dat easy at da top :D

 
On June 29, 2009 at 11:11 AM , Tall Guy said...

I love those roller coaster rides and thrill rides. Even if I am scared I still just go ahead and do it as it gives one a adrenaline rush.

 
On June 29, 2009 at 11:25 AM , test said...

leave aside my love for amusement parks, ur write up gave me a more memorable experience!

 
On June 29, 2009 at 12:13 PM , WritingsForLife said...

hehe.. I love those rides, but unfortunately i am not allowed to ride. medical issues. sigh :-)

 
On June 30, 2009 at 1:35 AM , Unknown said...

You know what I feel exactly like you...I love all the rides...but once I am siting there...it scares me.. I would shout like anything..its such fun!!

 
On June 30, 2009 at 4:38 AM , sujata sengupta said...

I love all sorts of rides, the weirder the better, but my hubby is just like you, He is happy clicking from below, says thats his idea of a great time..now how do you counter that? Loved both your blogs, You write very well.

 
On June 30, 2009 at 5:49 AM , santasizing...Fantasizing said...

i love amusement parks too..but when it comes to rides...i happy at a distance:)..im so freaking scared of those high rides...man!:(
lovely post...i relived your rides through ur words:)...such is the magic of words:)

 
On June 30, 2009 at 2:11 PM , Talking To My Soul said...

I LOVE THE GIANT WHEEL, lady!!!! It's just feels GREAT when it brings me down, crashing down...

 
On July 1, 2009 at 7:22 AM , ♪♪Happy Go Lucky♪♪ said...

lol remindes me when i was a kid, i used to get onto those giant wheels at the fun fairs ... i would beg my mom to get onto them... almost halfway up i would get all scared and cry and the poor guy would bring it down so that i could get off...

but its been ages since ive been to an amusement park, so i really dunno how ill react now.. :P

btw, im back to full-fledged blogging so will visit you more often :)

 
On July 1, 2009 at 1:34 PM , CRD said...

wow...u shud go out wid ur hubby for such rides more often. they say when ur with a loved one in a scary situation, you get closer ;)


Cheers
CRD

 
On July 1, 2009 at 2:11 PM , ani_aset said...

lovely post adisha :)...i hate these rides too,..simply hate them..i'm glad i got some company there :P..Well i have still think i can give a shot at bungee jumping..that would be fun..right? :P

 
On July 2, 2009 at 11:48 AM , renaye said...

i actually have not tried anything in the amusement park.. not even roller coaster. but i have tried flying fox which is as fun as roller coaster i assume!

 
On July 2, 2009 at 11:51 AM , Anonymous said...

i wanna get married and take my wife to a ride.. last time i was in a ride, i puked

 
On July 2, 2009 at 11:01 PM , Adisha said...

Ok guys !!! Thank you so much for your comments, but since I've already spoken about what I feel on the subject all I think I can do at this point, is thank ALL OF YOU , for coming by and letting me know your take on the same ... :D hehehehe ...

Happy Roller Coasting ....

 
On July 3, 2009 at 2:39 AM , Shruti Narayanan said...

am a little late but then i have things to say.. loved d writeup.. giggled at places... esply imagining u up there sitting on a ride with fingers crossed n screaming n ur bro sitting by ur side turning green outta embarrassment. must b a site!

well i love such rides.. n do visit such amusements parks.. i love heights n yeah i love to leave my hands free n enjoy the upper layer of air touching me!! feels thrilling even with butterflies in stomach. but i have a few frds who never do it.. yeah it at-times irritates n i tend to ask 'y u waste ur money by coming so far without taking up any rides' but then mayb thats what they feel happy abt.

 
On July 3, 2009 at 3:54 PM , angel from heaven said...

hahhaa I know too well how you feel, I am fine on the "baby rides" but the thrilling ones make my stomach turn and make me green in the face!!!

 
On July 5, 2009 at 7:57 AM , Roshmi Sinha said...

Even I avoid roller coasters and merry columbus and a thingy called tora tora... like the plague...

 
On July 9, 2009 at 6:45 PM , paulandrewrussell said...

I am a 47 year old guy and I hate roller coaster rides. Unfortunately I have been talked into going on some bad rides and been scared witless. Never again! Ever!