Author: Adisha
•Thursday, February 19, 2009
All God's angels come to us disguised. ~James Russell Lowell

Isn't this true? I do believe we each have our guardian angels who help us along the way but what about those angel like: people who reach out in our dark moments, pulling us out into the light.
After my Valentines piece, I came to the realization that I need to write even about those others out there who have made an ever lasting impression on me even in the One meeting that I've had with them .

Today's memory is about an Autorickshaw Driver in Bhopal. I was 15 I think, and used to drive my Luna ( two wheeler ) to my Computer classes. On the way back one day, just as I tried to start my Luna by running with it, it kicked back making a summersault and I fell as a result. I woke up in great distress, with tears in my eyes ( Hey ! I was hurting ) only to realize that the Luna's handle had kind of twisted and it just wouldn't start.

This was in times before cell phones, thus I had no way to contact home and was troubled thinking how in the world would I get home. So slowly, but surely I did the only thing I could think of and started walking home with the twisted Luna by my side. This was around 6 pm and it had started getting dark. Walking along a stretch of long deserted road, with a few sad shops on the side, my tears wouldn't stop as I heard men offering their help in various rude ways. After around 20-25 minutes of my relentless trudge, I heard an auto coming from behind. Seeing me, the driver very kindly and cautiously offered his help. He got out, put the Luna in the back of his Auto and had me sit in the front. As we got closer to home, I was aghast as the Luna handle scraped another man who was on his bicycle, who was all a Big drama queen, ready to create More trouble than he was in. The driver got out , told him to relax, had me give him what little money ( Rs. 20 ) I had in my book to him for his medication and had him on his way .

When we reached home, I ran up the stairs to tell my mother about what had happened, so that she could come down and pay the man. She came down, and had him put the Luna behind our car, thanking him profusely for helping me. When she offered him money, he refused, saying if it were his daughter in need, he hoped there was someone who'd have helped her as well.

6-7 months down, as I walked in the drizzle talking to a friend, I saw the autorickshaw guy again as he drove out of his way into our complex only to ask me how I was doing and if my parents were fine. After a minute of small talk, he drove off, to dissappear forever.

I don't remember his face. I don't remember his name. But I do remember often, the kindness he showed a girl stranded, expecting nothing in return.
|
This entry was posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

10 Spin Offs:

On February 19, 2009 at 2:18 PM , Anonymous said...

Its a nice story , and its true how in this insenstive world some people stand out as selfless . Hard to find too many like that . Thanks for commenting on my blog . I've gone through your blog of short stories too , must say that u have a good writing style . The content needs a bit more work though but they were a good read .

 
On February 19, 2009 at 2:29 PM , Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
On February 19, 2009 at 5:19 PM , Anonymous said...

yes you are write god places his helpers in the form of humans but really they are gods angels!!!
such a touching post.

thanks for your blog comments
I have added you to my blog roll.


http://cutestangel.wordpress.com/

 
On February 20, 2009 at 10:18 AM , Priya said...

Isn't that wonderful feeling when you lookback what an unknown person does with a great heart. Amazing indeed.

 
On February 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM , Keshi said...

WOW this post gave me goosebumps!

I agree with ya 100%. Angels come in human form when help is needed.

Read my 2007 post on it at:

http://keshigirl.blogspot.com/2007/11/ode-to-angels-co.html


Keshi.

 
On February 24, 2009 at 11:22 AM , CRD said...

little acts of kindness do leave a mark..

i think the only way u can repay his kind act is by being kind to others!! wat say? :)

Cheers
CRD

updated my blog

 
On February 25, 2009 at 8:38 PM , ARZ KIYA HAI said...

Absolutely right.I think that even God comes to us in the form of humans. We have to be good to our fellow beings for this reason.

Good Post

 
On February 27, 2009 at 8:31 AM , Adisha said...

@ Pathfinder - Thanks for your kind compliments. A more descriptive feedback would be appreciated.

@ cutestangel - Yup ! So true.

@ priya - yes priya. It's really heartwarming for me ,even today.

@ Keshi - :) Read ur blog and commented as well.

@ CRD - Definitely, paying it forward is the true way that karma works, isn't it :)

@ arz kiya hai - What are angels but helpers of God !? :) THanks for visiting, and do continue to comment.

 
On March 2, 2009 at 5:22 AM , NeoDharmar said...

Its a nice piece of non-fiction, I've longed to read for such a long time. It's just as good as the picture of the person in it is. Everyone has had their won moments in life, their own memories. Now, your personal feeling is out for all others to see and I don't think you'll be flabbergasted if I too want to see that auto-driver!
nice post. Have a good luck.

 
On March 10, 2009 at 2:21 PM , ankitminglani said...

people are still good :D

~~~ Golden Vulture ~~~