Author: Adisha
•Monday, February 22, 2010
I just finished seeing the movie, Julie and Julia. For someone who is totally passionate about writing as well as cooking the story was something I could truly connect with.

I remember when I started blogging I too was in the exact same situation as Julie Powell in the movie. Lost! Since I was spending most parts of days by myself, I needed an outlet. I also wanted to start putting my writing out there to get a better idea on how to improve my thoughts and skills. I believed I had something to say that was worth listening to.

Slowly the concept grew and now I have 5 blogs, each that I maintain for different reasons. Poems, Musings, Stories, Books and Our Daily Life. Each one is just as precious to me as the other. And each time I publish a new post, I hope the one reading can connect to it ... at any level. This effort of mine finds it's goal. A means to an end, to reach out and touch another.

The same goes for my cooking. I am a total foodie and Love to cook. The cleaning up after not so much. I cook delicacies that always bring a content smile to my hubby's face. I would rather work in the kitchen for 4 hours cooking up something exotic, than spend half an hour cooking a basic meal of pulses, veggies and breads. That is my boon and my curse. Sometimes I use a recipe from a trusted source, other times it's a concoction of 5 recipes from the internet and other times it's a product of my imaginative palate. I love the sizzle in the pan, the changing colors of a dish, the aromas that fill the house with hunger and the flavours that satisfy the cravings of my inner soul.
End of the day, both my blogs and the cooking give me something to do and get artistic with. They fill me with a sense of joy every time I click on ' Publish Post ' or serve up a dish. I feel a sense of inexplicable accomplishment. It may not mean much to another but it fills me with pure happiness.

The movie is a true inspiration to those of us who started a blog for unknown reasons, with whatever theme we chose. Just like Julie felt in the movie. She wanted to give herself a direction while working on her penmanship. And she did do that. 524 recipes in 365 days. She found a voice, became popular by some weird quirk of fate and went on to writing books and inspiring movies. Julia Child, her inspiration never quite approved of the blog but then it wasn't about ever supposed to be about cooking. Julie Powell agrees that she never claimed to be a good cook. The blog was supposed to be about living.

I believe that is what any blogger is working towards. To give direction to a part of their life, be it their writing, art, recipes, thoughts or feelings even. For me blogging is all that and more. It's a way of life, an inspiration, something to do and a hope.
|
This entry was posted on Monday, February 22, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

11 Spin Offs:

On February 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM , Baljinder Singh said...

Having a connection with a particular thing/activity always helps people to improve over it....
Blogging, in turn, is helping me too in terms of self-realization and self-satisfaction....

 
On February 22, 2010 at 4:50 PM , WritingsForLife said...

ahh... I need to watch this movie now :-)

 
On February 23, 2010 at 6:52 AM , ani_aset said...

baah i didn even like the trailer :( i'll give this one a miss

 
On February 24, 2010 at 6:48 AM , Ravindra Merthi said...

thiz iz really nice...thtz hw u defind thngs.

 
On February 24, 2010 at 9:56 AM , 7-aTe-9 said...

:-)U r totally rite. I loved the movie, the script, the message and of coz the acting. Though I'm nt an amazing cook, some frames were like pieces taken outta my life....


I love ur observations & thoughts translated into honest writing.I know u aint before or after me in any thread....
This one is coming straight from d heart. ;-)
cheers gal...

 
On February 24, 2010 at 11:07 AM , Tulika said...

Gorgeous!
Hats off to that spirit!

Glad that you came across mine which let me reach yours.

 
On February 24, 2010 at 9:38 PM , Hemanth Potluri said...

i saw the movie it was good one...i am happy she is now in th race of oscars...in the beginning of my blogging i to use to feel a lot similar and yeah now i am happy that i am part of this blogging world..:)..

urs..hemu..

 
On February 24, 2010 at 11:14 PM , AT said...

Haven't heard of this movie, but you got my full attention! Will try and get it as soon as possible. Great post as usual, Adisha! And the stuff that you wrote, about bloggers, why we start blogging, all of it is so very true, I feel... I feel the same way, too. Will add you to my new blogroll :-)

 
On February 24, 2010 at 11:19 PM , AT said...

Hey - Was just browsing thru when I saw my blog on your blogroll! Thanks, sweetie! Could you change it to www.ashatampa.com, tho? Me not blogging at my blogger account anymore.

 
On February 24, 2010 at 11:43 PM , Shruti Narayanan said...

amazing post! seriously could connect to each and every word of ur writing. as i always say, only bloggers can understand what blogging is all about :)

 
On March 3, 2010 at 2:07 AM , Unknown said...

I missed that movie! I guess I must watch it now!
Nice post!