Author: Adisha
•Monday, July 27, 2009
** We were passing a cross-section. As we approached the signal, I saw a man standing with a piece of cardboard held high above his head. As we got closer I read the markings to read, " God is Great !!! Willing to lease self for work. " Begging is not new to me nor are solicitors. But that a man is begging for work by using the word " lease " for himself threw me completely. The remaining ride, I wondered how easy all we have could disappear in the moment and thanked my stars for giving me all the little joys I take for granted most days.

** Later in the day, I went to Toys R Us. I am still amused by all the toys that are on display and even enjoyed fooling around a bit with the ones that said " Try me " . I remembered how Mom used to put away all my new toys a day or two after each birthday to be given to me when I'm older and more responsible. Then Gulf war happened and they all were gone ! Just like that. I never did get to play with any of them. So important to enjoy whatever you have when you have it with you.

** As I was thinking about this, I heard crying and turned around. This old lady was pushing a wheelchair where a girl in her teens sat, clearly agitated rocking back and forth. How sad it was that the lady had to care for that young, challenged girl. I passed on, in the opposite direction only to notice many of the passers by had stopped and were still staring at the duo, even when the crying had almost faded away. I felt sad that others' trials elicit such morbid curiosity!

** A day earlier, a friend was quite upset over her son needing stitches when he hurt his head. I understood her anguish yet explained that accidents do happen and she should be happy he's fine now. Yesterday, she informed me of a couple she knows who lost their child, born preterm. Reminded me of words I've heard from elders. " Everyone has to go through suffering of some kind. Be thankful for the ones you have, for it could have been much worse.




Entered another contest on Bloggerati. - Walk in the Rain


|
This entry was posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

17 Spin Offs:

On July 27, 2009 at 11:46 AM , Netika Lumb said...

The first one was QUITE amusing.
The last one realy touched me and it is something I completely believe in and follow. I always think that I am in the best possible scenario for It can always be worse.And someone somewhere is experiencing that ..

 
On July 27, 2009 at 11:51 AM , WritingsForLife said...

yep, that is why i say there is always a worse case scenario. You think that things are bad, think again :-)

Good post :-)

 
On July 27, 2009 at 1:38 PM , Priya said...

Thaz why we shud never take anything for granted coz everything we have or given or aspire is either limited or given more in need to share.

 
On July 27, 2009 at 3:12 PM , Anonymous said...

I so loved the second one...."Important to enjoy things when you have them"....And as always, amazing depth in your writing!

 
On July 27, 2009 at 10:08 PM , Kokonad said...

This is really nice and well written! :)

 
On July 28, 2009 at 2:15 AM , ani_aset said...

I kind of follow last one completely..rest were good too

 
On July 28, 2009 at 10:29 AM , Shruti Narayanan said...

yeah tru.. watever happens has its own good part to be seen.. but at-times we get so overwhelmed by the sadness that we actually need sumone else to show us the positive side. mayb thats y god has sent friends for :)

 
On July 28, 2009 at 11:17 AM , Gaurav said...

Hey!

Here throuhh Anks Ramblings. Read the last two posts and they make an interesting read. Will surely come back.

Cheers!

-Gaurav

 
On July 28, 2009 at 12:44 PM , Tall Guy said...

Liked the way you put it in words, especially the last part.

 
On July 29, 2009 at 6:20 AM , dreamy said...

I guess life always gives us a lot of moments when we feel humble and thankful for what we have.
I remember an incident, when i must have been around 5-6 yrs old. I had come for summer vacation to nanis place and my mom and i had gone to a park early in the morning. When we were returning, i saw a mentally challenged person walking in the opp direction. I, in my childish innocence, pointed to that man and said 'mom see a mad man.'. My mom immediately stopped me and said, 'shuchi be grateful for the fact that you have all your body parts intact and that you are in good health and have a happy life. That does not give you the right to make fun of those who are less fortunate.' I was a kid then but I have never forgotten that. After that day I could never make fun of people because of who they are. Still feel so thankful for what I have, despite all the problems, when I see someone who is in a worse situation than me.

 
On July 29, 2009 at 7:36 AM , Baljinder Singh said...

Some of the incidents were quite visceral. These make a person really think and relate to his own life.

Nice post..:P

 
On July 29, 2009 at 11:02 AM , Archana said...

As always, you're always full of wise words. :) I agree that you have to appreciate when you have, while you have it. Most people make the mistake of repenting now having spent enough time or shared enough love with something/someone that's gone.

I was MIA for awhile on vacation, but I'm back now. :) Looks like I luckily didn't miss out on too much blog-reading. <3

 
On July 30, 2009 at 3:02 AM , Keshi said...

LOL @lease! Thats innovative..what d u think? :)


Just last nite I was watching the surgery of a melanoma patient on TV...a young chap who got his lip removed! Just then I was telling my mum, that our lives r so good n trouble-free, and that we should never complain. NEVER.

This post reminded me of all the goodness I hv in my life. I should be thankful for what I hv. tnxx for the reminder!

Keshi.

 
On July 31, 2009 at 8:33 AM , Sudatta said...

Wonderful just wonderful!!

 
On July 31, 2009 at 9:51 AM , rebecca said...

All of these little vignettes were heart-wrenching and brings to point the fact that we should all be thankful for the blessings that we have because, yes, it can always certainly be much, much worse.

You are fast becoming one of my favorite writers....

 
On August 2, 2009 at 3:41 PM , Esther said...

We are indeed privileged! Love this post.

 
On August 3, 2009 at 1:08 AM , Tranquility Speaks said...

Life has so much to teach us, only if we bother to take notice. And you did just that! Truly Admire your insight on everything :-)